First Blog Post - Introduction

About Me

My name is Nhi Soto. I was born and raised in Anchorage, Alaska, and I currently live in Fairbanks, Alaska. I am working on completing my Foreign Languages degree with a concentration in Spanish. I am due to graduate this spring and will pursue an MBA.

I am married and had my first daughter in December of 2022. When I am not with family or working, I enjoy outdoor activities. I have my pilot license and use my plane to access Alaska's beautiful summer and winter activities.

Art & Me

José Clemente Orozco. Dive Bomber and Tank. 1940

When prompted to share a piece of art I find appealing, my mind thought of Orozco's Dive Bomber and Tank. It is not a mural I have seen in person, although I hope to visit the MoMA in the future. I first learned of Orozco and admired his murals when I visited Guadalajara, Mexico, and toured Hospicio Cabañas.

I do not paint, sculpt or draw. But I enjoy creating, whether art or building a shelf at home. I enjoy creating because it begins with an idea and a blank canvas; in the end, you produce something out of nothing. Occasionally, I can use my creativity and artistic muscle to create digital marketing collateral for my workplace, which brings a nice pace change from my regular duties.

I like to partake in local First Fridays and try to attend every month. I have visited local venues such as The Venue, Wall Street Art Company, and Black Spruce. I often walk out of a First Friday show with art in tow that now hangs in my house.

My Favorite Local Artist - Anya Toelle

Fairbanks Artist - Anya Toelle

Thanks to First Friday events, I have met many local artists. Out of all of them, my favorite is Anya Toelle. There are 3 of her paintings hung around my house that I enjoy and bring a sense of ease when I look at them.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing. Anytime you want to go to Mexico or New York to go look at art, count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Anya Toelle has stickers! I collect stickers on my uke cases. Good for you for getting to First Friday events. You can include Orozco in the Non-Western art unit we will do in this class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing! I love the piece of art you chose, it's very abstract yet it paints a story. I am looking forward to your future blog posts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts